Photo Courtesy of Karaoke Lyrics
Today is National Watermelon Day! I know, there’s a holiday for everything now, right? Watermelon is one of my favorite fruits and is definitely worth celebrating! I can’t get enough of its refreshing, sweet taste, especially on hot days like today! In honor of this delicious holiday I’d like to share a yummy recipe that I came across while reading the latest issue of Better Homes and Gardens.
Fat-Free Watermelon Sherbet
(Prep Time: 25 minutes / Freeze Time: 8 hours)
2 cups cubed, seeded watermelon
1/2 cup sugar
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup cranberry juice cocktail
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens
* Place watermelon cubes in a blender and blend until smooth.
* Stir in sugar.
* In small saucepan, combine gelatin and cranberry juice. Let stand for 5 minutes and then stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved.
* Stir gelatin into the melon mixture.
* Pour into an 8x2x2 inch baking pan.
* Cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
* Break up frozen mixture and place in mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixture on medium until mixture is fluffy.
* Return to pan and freeze for 6 hours or until firm.
Makes 8 (1/2 cup) servings. For nutritional information, check out Better Homes and Gardens.
I haven’t tired this recipe yet but with watermelon and sherbet, how can one go wrong?! I think I’ll break out my mixer and try it out today!
Have a Wonderful Wednesday!